Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Toddlers with iPads

It's crazy how a three year old can navigate his way through a computer, iPad/tablet, and phone. Amari has both a Samsung tablet and a Leap Frog, which can present itself as both good and bad. The learning that he absorbs from educational games is enormous. The racing games improve his reflexes, and other games like "Cut The Rope" help with his problem solving skills, and to be quite honest, he is a superb problem solver. We do limit his use on the tablets, as it is as important that he learns from being active. Our son is very creative and like most toddlers, has an extremely active imagination. I am guilty of using these electronic devices as a babysitter when I have work to do. As an only child, he longs for a friend, so I become his playmate, and when I am unavailable to play, I rely on his Samsung or Leap Frog. Yesterday, we were both playing a motor cross game, and I laughed so hard when Amari couldn't pass a level, so laid on his back with his head on my lap and said in his little 3 year old voice, "Ugh, stupid iPad." We live in an electronic era, where apps and gaming are prevalent. I'm grateful that we are able to provide Amari with such luxuries, and use these luxuries to support his development. Like we always say, everything in moderation. I will not be sorry that at times, we use our phones to keep Amari amused in a restaurant, or just want some peace and quiet, so use it as a distraction. The key is finding the balance and I believe we do a good job at that. What's your thoughts when it comes to parenting and iPads? Are you totally against them, or do you allow them in your home?

1 comment:

  1. That’s an interesting post. My kids are also into the electronic devices but on my son’s recent birthday I had hosted a decent outdoor party and arranged loads of games. It was an interesting party and the kids enjoyed a lot. We booked a local venue NYC for this bash and the pool area over there was quite big.

    ReplyDelete