Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 19, 2019

Kids or Career?

A teacher in college one said that we can't have a successful career in the arts and have kids. That has stuck with me till today. When I got to an age where I was ready to have children,  I was afraid of what that would mean for my career, as I was still building and not where I wanted to be. I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome, the number one cause for infertility in women. I was always made to feel that no one wanted to work with an artist who was a mum or even someone in a relationship. That being single was better. I decided to ignore the voices in my head and go for it.

I was terrified of sacrificing my career, but I was even more terrified of not being able to have children.  I decided to see a naturopath and within the first month of trying, I fell pregnant.

The acting work I was doing didn't stop until I started to show and then I focused on my music. This was my way of staying creative and still keeping my career alive and on my terms.

After I gave birth, I went back to work almost straight away, bringing my new born with me if I had to. There were things of course I couldn't do but things I still could. I had, and still have an amazing support system and was never ashamed to ask for help.

Today I see more and more women in the entertainment industry, being mothers, finding success and I think to myself, no woman should ever be told they have to choose between a family and a career.

I still remember a colleague of mine going to every audition with her 2 kids in tow and little does she know, she inspired me all these years. Oh and she worked like crazy.

I am now a mum of two and still working in the arts. No one said it would be easy, but anything is possible.

I decided to live in the moment and the future would take care of itself. Well I'm glad I did. It's hard work but glad I have a reason to work even harder.



No comments:

Post a Comment